Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have recently spilt my property into two units because the

Customer Question

I have recently spilt my property into two units because the tenants two couples in living in the property did not get along. And hey did not want to have to share bathroom,toilet and kitchen facilities so I provide these separately is this illegal?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
Practically there is not an issue with this but you will need to be aware of the following:
1. You may need to apply to the council for permission to have the property split into two separate dwellings - this is known as a use class and you have to check the property's use class covers it to be two separate dwellings;
2. You will need to check that the conversion complies with building regulations - for example does it have fire doors etc. You will probably need a surveyor to check all of this.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ