Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

i am a used car dealer, i sold a vehicle about a month ago

Customer Question

i am a used car dealer, i sold a vehicle about a month ago and the gentleman had the vehicle diagnosed by a local garage close to him as he lives miles away from me, the vehicle had a new turbo and some other bits fitted and i paid for these, the vehicle has now failed again with the same symptoms and he is now asking for his money back, i believe he should be talking to the garage who did the repairs as it was them who apparently fixed it not me, where do i stand
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi<
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Did he inspect the vehicle before he bought it?
Was the invoice for the repairs addressed to you or him?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he test drove and insected the car before purchase, the invoice came to my garage, in the garages name
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
I think you are correct that the garage that carried out the repair is liable for it, IF that is what is actually causing the problem.
Will the buyer be prepared to allow you to examine the car?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex j, hes stating that the garage said it needed an oil pump, which was not replaced , this was not my decision, i spoke to the garage to see what they said before hand and they said it may require one but , they fixed the car and were happy that it did not need one and so the gentleman got his car back, they are now saying it is the oil pump , i know these cars and had just repaired one the week before exactly the same with no problems whatsoever, so i feel they should be talking to the garage not me as its their poor workmanship and they chose the garage not me
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
I think you have to explain to them that any warranty they had with you became invalid when they took the car to another dealer to have the work done.
I would say that you are not prepared to take any further responsibility for it until they:
1. Allow you a reasonable opportunity to inspect the car;
2. Agree that to the extent that the continuing problem is caused by the other mechanics work, you are not liable.
Are they asking you to provide further money? Have they actually proved the cause of the fault?
AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Alex,
they are just being the usual customer , i know my rights etc, trading standards, im taking you to court, all of the above dosnt really bother me
they are asking for a full refund, as the car was not suitable etc, my argument is they chose the garage, they were happy to do that, i paid for the repair, they still have 2 mths warranty on the car with a warranty company, the car cost £1795, it cost me £800 for fixing the car by their garage, i just want to make sure that i'm right that they should be speeking to the garage, and if the garage did feel it needed an oil pump why did they not fit one as i would of paid but now we are back to square 1 because of their ignorance.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are correct that they should be speaking to this garage, but only if the garages repair caused the problem. The only way to verify this is to inspect the car.
Really what they should have done was allowed you an opportunity to fix the car first as per the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
AJ