29905560

I am a mobile engineer and my company last week fitted trackers

I am a mobile engineer and my company last week fitted trackers to all the company cars.What can and cannot they do according to the Law, our boss mentioned monitoring our speed and adverse driving too, is it against my human rights
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you use the car for personal travel?
Customer:

Yes I do for personal travel as part of joining as a perk.I pay company car tax and also tax on the petrol card that the company provided me with.

Ben Jones :

The starting point is that a company car is company property and an employer has a right to know its whereabouts. There are however certain procedures and guidelines that employers need to adhere to in order to keep within the law when undertaking such monitoring.

Firstly, employees have a basic right to privacy under the Human Rights Act. One argument is that monitoring devices fitted to vehicles affect the employees’ right to privacy and is a breach of their basic human rights.

Secondly, monitoring of vehicle movements where the vehicle is allocated to a specific driver and where information about the performance of the vehicle can be linked to a specific individual will fall within the scope of the Data Protection Act 1998. As such, the tracking data is likely to amount to ‘personal data’ under data regulation principles and be subject to certain regulations. The following is guidance published by the Information Commissioners Office, which deals with data protection rights:

• Where private use of a vehicle is allowed, monitoring its movements when used privately, without the freely given consent of the user, will rarely be justified;

• If the vehicle is for both private and business use, it ought to be possible to provide a ‘privacy button' or similar arrangement to enable the monitoring to be disabled during private use;

• Where an employer is under a legal obligation to monitor the use of vehicles, even if used privately, for example by fitting a tachograph to a lorry, then the legal obligation will take precedence.

Employers are therefore encouraged to have a specific policy for the use of vehicle monitoring and to make employees aware of its existence. Where possible, the above principles should be applied to ensure privacy is maintained when the vehicle is used solely for private use.

Generally, the most common way of dealing with privacy issues in such circumstances is through the introduction of a specific monitoring policy and a privacy feature on the vehicle.

You are free to raise your concerns with your employer and discuss the above information, trying to reach an amicable resolution. You can either do this informally or by raising a formal grievance. Remember that you have certain rights in these situations and that your employer should act reasonably and justify their actions as far as possible.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi, can you please clarify the reason for the negative rating, I fully answered your query, as far as the current law stands?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Terribly sorry and apologies I must have touch the wrong button, I just had an operation on my eye and cant wear my glasses for 2 weeks, you gave me an excellent 5 star answer, very impress, I do feel really bad .

It's not a problem at all, we can fix it at our end, many thanks for taking the time to respond and explain. All the best
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'