Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

i hade a will drawn a few years ago, I now want to make some

i hade a will drawn a few years ago, I now want to make some changes to it. the problem I got I cannot contact the lady who done it for me. it was national legal serviches. any suggestions?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If you are unable to trace them, don't worry too much- if you wish to make changes to your Will, I suggest that you just instruct another firm to prepare a new Will for you. This is not likely to cost a lot more than if you wanted to make some alterations to your existing Will (which is normally done by way of a codicil), in that a codicil still needs to be executed in the same fashion as a Will (ie signed by you in front of 2 witnesses).

As soon as your new Will has been executed, your old Will automatically becomes invalid, and so as long as your next of kin know you have made this new Will, you don't need to worry about tracking down your old Will with the National Legal Services.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I paid over 600pounds for the original will, I cannot afford to pay anything near that again.

£600! That is an awful lot- what did they do for you?

Did they set up some sort of Trust for you?

(A standard Will, prepared by a Solicitor, normally costs approx £100 plus VAT at the most).

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a son with learning difficulties and she set up some sort of legal stuff which I do not understand I got a lot of papers.

Thanks for your reply. I can't of course predict exactly what your existing Will said, but I would have thought that some type of discretionary trust has prbably been set up to benefit your son.

If you were to go and see a Solicitor (not a Will writer!) they would be able to no doubt assist you in drafting a new Will to contain such a Trust for appoximately £200 plus VAT. Sadly, there are a lot of non regulated organisations offering Wills, who charge the earth- for once, a Solicitor is going to be the cheaper option, and will give you sound legal advice.

I have been checking to see if National Legal Services are still operating, but I can't find any details for them.

I am sorry you may have to go bback to the drawing board with yur Will, but if you want to make changes, an expense is going to be incurred even if you were able to go back to NLS, but you are better off seeking the advice of a regulated Solicitor.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

AL

Can I be of any more help to you?

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No thank you

If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback, so I may get credited for my time.

AL