LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I live in a terrace house that I own my next door neighbour

I live in a terrace house that I own my next door neighbour rents she is smoking cannabis all the time and it is coming through to my house and its smells horrendous. it was coming into my sons built in wardrobe and he got stopped at school they thought he was the one that was smoking drugs. I have asked her to smoke outside as this is causing a huge problem but she said no. I'm having to keep windows and doors open which is leaving my house cold is there anything I can do about it legally
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Is her landlord a private individual or a social landlord?

Customer:

I don't know I think a letting agency bought it but i'm not sure

LondonlawyerJ :

If you know who the landlord is you could approach them and they might take action as there is bound to be a clause in the tenancy agreement banning illegal conduct in the property. However you could not compel them to take action.

LondonlawyerJ :

You could call the police but all that is likely to happen then is that after a few hours in custody and with the prospect of a fine she will be back and not very happy about things.

Customer:

so your saying if the landlord won't do any thing there is nothing I can do

LondonlawyerJ :

In practical terms I fear there is no effective legal remedy for you.

LondonlawyerJ :

Yes that is what I am saying.

Customer:

good and quick reply