LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

How can I go about getting a bail date moved [Bail = 20th Jan,

Customer Question

How can I go about getting a bail date moved [Bail = 20th Jan, 2015] due to the fact I have 3 week pre-booked holiday the day after I am due to leave the UK on 19th Jan, 2015, my passport has not been surrendered as part of the bail process, and the charge is possession in my car of a made safe imitation dog training blank firing gun, I have not previous for any such incidents. [Holiday was booked 7 months before the bail date was given]
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Do yo have contact details, (like a card) for the duty solicitor?

Customer:

Customer:

I do but there is a T's&C's that state if I get other legal bodies involved they will retract their services

LondonlawyerJ :

If you mean this service then just don't mention us.

Customer:

Ok, so what do you need from me please?

Customer:

Incidentally, I had taken an overdoes at the time and the police call me whilst I was stationary and I volunteered the training aid blank faire arm was in the vehicle.. I was taken to hospital then - charged with possessing a firearm in a public place, I think the bail is so they can ascertain the training aid is a blank gun.

LondonlawyerJ :

I work as a duty solicitor and getting bail dates moved is a routine part of work. (albeit technically outside the duty scheme). Almost al duty solicitors will be happy to call/write to the police to re-arrange the bail date without charging you for it. So what you should do is contact the solicitor and ask him to re-arrange it for you. If he seems reluctant to help tell him that you were hoping to instruct him if you are charged but if he doesn't help you with this you might think again. Criminal solicitors are desperate for work at the moment. Most wod help yow with this without any problems at all.

Customer:

Ok, so its pretty a standard request, and would a 6k pre-booked holiday constitute reasonable grounds to request a re-scheduling of the bail date?

LondonlawyerJ :

Yes it would, but it is always discretionary.

Customer:

Ok, one final question

Customer:

Could you outline how I should be requesting this to my solicitor - as it will be the 2nd request in 2 weeks now and just over a month before I am due to holiday?

LondonlawyerJ :

Send an email or a letter asking him to do it. There will then be a request in writing he needs to respond to and he is then more likely to do it. You have what sounds like quite an interesting case and he should respond. If he doesn't you can threaten to complain the T&Cs letter should give details of a complaints procedure, just mentioning that should get a response as a complaint requires a good deal of work in their office.