Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hi there, on Tues 2nd Dec I agreed to a PPI company to do some

Hi there, on Tues 2nd Dec I agreed to a PPI company to do some searches for me regarding mortgage PPI not realising that they were going to take £995 upfront in fees. I understood this to be a charge after. They took the fees 2 hours later from my credit card. I have since read through my paperwork to find I could cancel within 14 days in writing. I tried to ring unsuccessfully on a number of occasions and I have emailed my intentions on 2nd, 4th, 5th and 8th dec. I did receive email replies on 4th and 8th acknowledging my emails and that they would be on touch within 48 hours. I have managed successfully to contact them by phone today to be told that they will accept my cancellation but I will not get my money back for 30 days. I do not understand why it should take so long. Any advice please? Diane
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
You're absolutely right - it doesn't take 30 days to make a refund to your credit card.
You are entitled to a full refund once you've cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period.
I suggest you inform the PPI company that you will expect them to pay any interest/charges imposed by the credit card company.
But you should really give them up to 14 days to make a refund as it does take a while to process these things.
Thereafter keep a note of any charges and expenses and tell the PPI company you will expect them to be paid.
Notify the credit company of the position and send them a copy of the email from the PPI company. The credit card company may waive fees/interest or they might refund the amount paid and claim back from the PPI I company.
Your emails need to be robust and to the point. But generally you should find that the fee is refund back quite quickly.