75100385

Hello I am thinking of a opening a restaurant with a celebrity/

Customer Question

I am thinking of a opening a restaurant with a celebrity/ Hollywood theme by having various life sized wax works of celebrities displayed in the restaurant. Is it legal ? Will I risk being sued? If so, is there a way around it ? The celebs are still alive..
Please advise.
Eddy
Alex Watts :

Hello Eddy my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Yes it is legal

Alex Watts :

You can't copyright an image of yourself - otherwise in news reports they would need to get permission of everyone

Alex Watts :

So yes you can open and use wax works.

Alex Watts :

You wont be sued

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-hcleij7x- : Hello Alex
Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-hcleij7x- : Hello Alex thank you very much for your response. I am actually thinking of opening this in Dubai. There is a restaurant that already uses wax works of some celebs but mine would potentially have a better selection can that other restaurant sue me? Also would it be illegal to have waiters dressed up as action heros? Appreciate your clarification regarding the extent of which I could use celebs concept to attract customers e.g. Photos on the walls, dress up staff, large sized oscar trophies etc. I believe you got the concept. Appreciate your help. Best
Alex Watts :

OK -you have posted this in UK law, so I can only advise on that.

Alex Watts :

But clearly in the UK you couldn't be sued.

Alex Watts :

Even dressing up as action hero's that would be fine as long as the costumes slightly different.

Alex Watts :

They can't be exactly the same as those figures are subject to copyright

Alex Watts :

I think its around 20% different it has to be

JACUSTOMER-hcleij7x- : If this was in the uk and there is a similar restaurant can they sue me I mean the other restaurant
Alex Watts :

No they couldn't sue you

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-hcleij7x- : My apologies for the late response Alex. Was offline. Thank you your advice helps A LOT. Much appreciated.
Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's all you have been great help. Many thanks Alex. Best regards
Thanks!
Happy to help!