LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi My partner has been a tenant with Lambeth renting a flat

My partner has been a tenant with Lambeth renting a flat for 34 years and during the last year I became her carer to look after her with her cancer treatment and moved in with her.
She sent a request to Lambeth asking for them to allow me to be a tenant and they sent a form which I filled in detailing my previous addresses ect and how long I had lived there as requested.
Her treatment needed doses of morphine and other drugs she was not able to walk without my help and eventually had to stay in bed.
I explained to Lambeth that she requested I stay in the Property and signed a Letter explaining that she would want me to carry on the Tenancy and that she was ill.
Two weeks later she unfortunately passed away as she was unable to eat or drink and
and her body just could not take anymore.
I have met with Lambeth and I believe they will not regard me as a succession to the tenancy and I dont know whether I have any rights at all regarding housing.
Kind Regards
Patrick Dibella
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years exeprience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

You as an unmarried partner can succeed to a tenancy in these circumstances if you were living there as your only or principle home for more than a year prior to death. There can only be one succession so if your partner was the survivor of a joint tenancy in the past at this address you do not have the right succeed

Customer:

Customer:

will this succession allow me to stay in the property or can the council move me to another property.

LondonlawyerJ :

No you can stay there as a full council tenant (I am assuming your partner was a secure tenant) and if you wish to move you can negotiate a swap if you want.

Customer:

The Council have said that they may want to move me to another property depending on whqat the Housing management say They sent me a succession form

LondonlawyerJ :

You are in a position of stregth, they can not force yo to move so only move if you want to.

Customer:

thanks i think they are saying that the property is a three bedroom and they may want this for aq family and that they will decide

Customer:

my partner was a secure tenant

LondonlawyerJ :

great, they can not evict you so you may be able to get somewhere nice if they want the larger property back

Customer:

Thank you so much ,I am so relieved that I can stay where we hoped we would be together and as we are pensioners live the rest of our lives here,this is wonderful news.

Customer:

Kindest Regards ***** *****

Customer:

Patrick Dibella