UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi I run a one man UK company based in Oxfordshire writing

Customer Question

Hi I run a one man UK company based in Oxfordshire writing computer software. One of my clients is in the US and I recently went there for 1.5 weeks work as part of a 9 week contract. The remaining 7.5 weeks work were was done in Oxford UK. I have been told that the US company will be withholding 1.5/9 * 30% of the invoice total as US IRS Withholding Tax. I have been asked to complete from W-8BEN-E to reduce this to 0% (ie. they pay the invoice total, not deduct a wad of cash from it and pay the remainder). I filled in my W-8BEN-E last week but it was rejected as I didn't fill in section 15. I don't know what to put in section 15. Can anyone advise? All I need is the detail to fill in the updated W-8BEN-E and send it back. The link to the W-8BEN-E is here http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8bene.pdf    In my form, I have checked boxes 14a, 14b, and 14c as required in Part III

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You need to tick only 14a) and 14b) as 14c) does not apply to your case.
In 14a, you state that you are a resident of the United Kingdom.
In 15, you put down the rate as 0% rate on your income which was for provision of IT services and in the explanation part, state that you, the beneficial owner, are a resident and citizen of the United Kingdom and are a UK taxpayer.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I just noticed that all your information for section 15 above is correct except \"The beneficial owner is claiming the provisions of Article ....." is missing. What is the article number ?

Article 12.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks!!

Welcome