75100385

I have just found out that I have been paying pet insurance

I have just found out that I have been paying pet insurance for a pet that I have not owned since 2007- I moved house in 2007 and he went to live with my brother.
The company More Than Insurance have been taking a fixed amount out of my account since that time up until today.
The only reason this has come to my attention is that they wrote to my bank in October 2014 to say that they are "Concerned that the client(me) is currently paying for pet insurance cover that I may no longer require" I must add at this point, that they wrote to my bank and not me directly as they did not have my address.
I have called them and they have said that there is nothing they can do unless I can prove that the pet(dog called Sammy) who used to belong to my father and then went to live with my brother in 2007(with whom I am at variance) is not living with me.
So in a nutshell, they want me to get details from my brother of visits to a vet or somewhere he has been treated and registered as being with my brother.
Problem is of course that I have not spoken with my brother for around 6 years due to an argument about business venture.
So you see my dilemma, I'm probably owed the best part of £6-7k as the premium was in the region of £70-80 per month or thereabouts for the last 7 years.
Is there anything I can do other than the above, can they be held liable for not bringing this to my attention earlier.
Steve G
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Did you inform them that you had moved please?

Customer:

No I did not, I stupidly did not check my bank statements either

Alex Watts :

OK and you want to check to see if there is anything you can do to get your money back?

Customer:

absolutely please

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am afraid and as you have probably guessed.

Alex Watts :

It is your responsibility to advise and make changes to all of your insurance and notify them of a change of address

Alex Watts :

Its not their responsibility to keep making sure you need the insurance or have the correct address - that is up to you

Alex Watts :

That is how come make their money by people forgetting.

Alex Watts :

But that is not their fault.

Alex Watts :

Of course you can try and pursue this to a limited extent.

Alex Watts :

You should write out and set out your losses and position and ask them to investigate.

Alex Watts :

They may come back with a partial refund.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with that result then you can complain to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They offer a free, independent service and can be found at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Alex Watts :

But beyond that there is nothing you can do

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and it is certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

It's pretty clear cut from what you have said, yes a real reality check has arrived, I'm probably down around 7k for my stupidity - heavy lesson

Alex Watts :

I am sorry its not better news.......

Alex Watts :

But if you take it to Court it really is highly likely to fail.

Customer:

Point taken Alex - I just wondered if any responsibility fell upon them to have curtailed this sooner than the time they actually waited

Alex Watts :

No. You took out the insurance. They are not required to write to you every year and say are you sure you want this still.

Alex Watts :

Not unless its in their terms.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry

Alex Watts :

But go via complaints and the Ombudsman. They may offer you something back

Customer:

Thank you for your help - I could always try mending the very burnt bridge with my brother I suppose

Alex Watts :

Indeed. I can't help with that one sadly, but good luck with that.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you today?

Customer:

No that's fine thank you Alex, I'm rating you excellent, despite the news. best regards Steve

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my service before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Alex Watts :

Good luck Steve