Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Is it correct procedure for a judge in a county court to hear

Is it correct procedure for a judge in a county court to hear a case which could have direct implications for that very court? Surely a conflict of interest exists?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : What exactly is the 'conflict'?
Customer: In the particulars of claim concerning another matter, the court in question was mentioned and evidence produced to show possible corruption.
Alex Hughes : I'm sorry but I still don't understand. Are you saying there is evidence that the Judge was biased? Can you produce some evidence to corroborate that?
Customer: Basically the question is can a court try itself?
Alex Hughes : If there is evidence of apparent or perceived bias then a Judge should recuse himself from the case or transfer the case to another court. Justice has to be open and fair. This means that if there is any bias or "conflict" steps should be put in place for another person to deal with the case. If this does not happen then either party to the proceedings could appeal the case.
Alex Hughes : In short, it is probably unfair for a Judge to deal with a case where there are "conflicts of interest".
Customer: Will this conversation be converted to email so that I can print it out?
Alex Hughes : I do not have the facility to do so at my end by you might be able to cut and paste the answer at your end.
Alex Hughes : Would you like any further help with this matter?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.