LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I am now 70 years of age and as a child I was a member of a

I am now 70 years of age and as a child I was a member of a cub group. At an age of around 8-10 I was abused regularly by the then Cub Master. This experience has left me emotionally drained and it is something that I have never got over. I have just watched a piece on BBC and did not realise that since Jimmie Saville, abuse within the Scout movement was so rife.
Although the abuser is now dead the article on BBC left me wondering whether the Scout Movement should have protected me more. My experience ruined my life from an emotional point of few. Although married with 2 boys I have been gifted with a wife who believes a marriage is more than about the bedroom. We have been married for 46 years and it took me 30 years before I admitted to her about my past. At that time I was going through a difficult time and since then I have told no one, even my children. Even now as I write this message I find it difficult. The effect on my life is not measured in money but an understanding how this could have happened to me.
Vjh
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer: I am on line now
LondonlawyerJ :

I am not sure what answer you are looking for. Yes the Scout movement may well have had duties to protect the boys who were in their movement and may well be liable to pay you compensation if you wanted to go down that route. I am not sure that is what you want though. Unfortunately often money is the only remedy that law can provide and that isn't always what people want.

LondonlawyerJ :

It my be that you could follow this link and instruct one of the lawyerrs on his list who is a specialist on heping the survivors of abuse http://www.apil.org.uk/abuse-assault-lawyer

Customer: to be fair I don't know either. Although at my age I would have thought I would have got over it but I haven't. Maybe compensation is maybe be an option but also some understand why I was exposed to this. The Cub pack was attached to the Salvation Army Corp and I knew this person since I was much smaller. I know there was a Police enquiry and the Police visited my home to be interviewed in front of my parents. I just couldn't bring myself to admit to it or even talk about it.