12826847

I am currently on unpaid work within national probation service.

I am currently on unpaid work within national probation service. I have been informed that I am only allowed to present 2 self certification notes if I am ill otherwise I will be breached and sent back to court for additional sentence.. However, I think this goes against the disability discrimination act. As I have 2 medical conditions:-
1. rheumatoid arthritis for which I am on immunosuppressants which deplete my immune system and make me susceptible to infections.
2. bi-polar disorder which often makes me depressed.
Could you kindly advise the legal position on these matters
Stephen
In what way would these disorders prevent you from completing unpaid work? Remember it is a very high test.
In any event, this is not disability discrimination. It is applied to all non attenders whatever the condition. It doesn't operate against those with a disability.
There is an obligation to make reasonable adjustments of course but I cannot see how that would apply either. These are not conditions that prevent a person from working. Many do wwork with these conditions. An acute episode may be sufficient but then a doctor's note would cover that.
On your specific point, there really isnt any reasonable justification for asking them to make adjustments here. A person with that condition isnt disadvantaged any more than anybody else by their demands.
I am very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Made up it's you replying.

I had a very lengthy interaction with you recently regarding my sentence for harassment without violence, were you were outstanding with your responses.

I am fine with doing the unpaid work but if my arthritis flares up or I am il due to my immune system being depleted I don't think I should be breached and have to go back to court as I see this as being against the disability discrimination act ?

Cheers

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Hope you are well.

Have you any adice regarding my last question ?

Many thanks and kind regards

Steve

Sorry for the delay.
You won't be breached for ill health if you get a doctors note which says you are not fit for unpaid work.