LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

In April 2013, I made a small claim in the Grimsby County Court

In April 2013, I made a small claim in the Grimsby County Court concerning compensation for a delayed flight, under Regulation (EC) 261/2004, in January 2013. A hearing was set for October 2013. Less than 24 hours before the hearing, the defendant contacted the court and had the hearing stayed pending the outcome of a Royal Court of Appeal hearing, which failed. The court set a new hearing for July 2014. Again, the defendant had the new hearing date stayed pending the outcome of a Supreme Court appeal hearing. The second appeal hearing in October 2014 failed and I asked the court to re-list the hearing. Grimsby County Court has since informed me they have now transferred my claim to the Liverpool County Court but did not explain the reason for this. The defendant has just sent me a letter and also enclosed a cheque for the compensation amount. It was my intention to attend the hearing as the defendant's staying of the first hearing in October 2013, I believe was unreasonable, as I was had to take a day off work, which cost me a day's pay of approximately £200. Within their letter, the defendant says they have now settled the claim and expect me to contact the court and inform them immediately of this. I would be grateful if you could tell me if I am entitled to claim for my loss of earnings and, although I did not claim interest on my claim form as I expected the claim to be settled in October 2013, am I now entitled to claim interest on the compensation amount? If so, how do I proceed please? Thank you.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor woth 20 yeasre xpreicne

LondonlawyerJ :

I will try to answer his for you.

LondonlawyerJ :

Loss of earnings is something you can claim from the other side in a small claims matter if you win. You need ot think carefully about whether it is worth havign a separate extra fight over this though. How much have they paid you to settle the claim?

Customer:

The amount claimed on the claim form (600euros x2).

LondonlawyerJ :

OK so about £800? You can legitimately write back to them saying the case will be settled when they pay your fixed expenses (issue fee , travel costs. lost wages) and send a copy of the letter to the court together with a copy of your letter to the other side adn copy of their letter to you. Whether it is worth dragging yourself all the way to Liverpool and fighting over this is a matter for you but there is no certainty you would succeed in your application although it is likely.

Customer:

Hi LondonlawyerJ, many thanks for your swift and professional assistance in this matter. Most appreciated!