LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I was contacted by company called Redbutton, I thought this

I was contacted by company called Redbutton, I thought this was a scocial service recomendation as I am disabled. I thought it was the red button service that my elderly mother had so that she could get help in her home if she had a fall or was ill. I said to the salesman when he came on 7th Aug that I did not want an alarm system and he reassured me that he was giving me what I wanted.
Subsequently an alarm system was fitted on 9th August and when I realised I swithed it off because I did not like the intrusion and was afraid it would go off annoying neighbours. I then had phone calls asking if I had a power cut and told them again that I didn't want an alarm system. I also rang on 14th Aug cancelling the order bacause at the time saleman called he stated that a deposit of £330 would be charged but the Company not only took the £330 on 7th Aug but a further £1420.13 on 12 Aug without any invoice or notification being sent to me.
Eventually they came to remove the items they had placed in my property on 9th Sept.
I have tried to phone them without luck and wrote a letter on 23rd October but have had no response. I have tried to wring trading astanders without luck. Please help as I am a disabled pensioner and need this money for my heating bill.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Have they returned any money at all to you yet?

Customer:

no

Customer:

no communication from them at all

Customer:

Not you just the company Red Button

Customer:

am I getting any more service as I cannot wait here much longer

LondonlawyerJ :

Your inly effective way of getting your money back is to issue a claim for recovery in the small claims court.

LondonlawyerJ :

Follow this link for the government site on how to issue proceedings. https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Customer:

thanks how do I do that

LondonlawyerJ :

You should send them another letter before commencing proceedings setting out precisely what they have done wrong and precisely how much money they owe you. You should give them a specific time limit for paying you the money they have unlawfully retained. This would usually be 14-21 days. You should tell them in the letter that if you do not receive payment within the time limit you will commence proceedings against them for the sum specified + interest + your experiences in bringing the case and issue the claim, probably easiest to do on line.