Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

In 2010 and 2011 I bought prints of pictures painted by Rolf

In 2010 and 2011 I bought prints of pictures painted by Rolf Harris, the total value at the time was around 18k. Of these pictures I have never taken delivery of 5 pictures (purchase price 15k) which remain boxed and in the care of the Gallery I bought them from. I accept the gallery sold the pictures in good faith and I have asked them recently to re-sell them but I am told they do not sell to a secondary market.
Is there any way I can get a refund given that Rolf Harris sold his works of art knowing his crimes at the time
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Alex J. :

Were the Gallery selling the prints as an agent of Rolph Harris?

Alex J. :

Or were the prints owned by the Gallery? Is the Gallery connected to Rolph Harris?

Customer:

Alex J. :

Customer:

I'm trying to reply but can't locate a send icon

Customer:

The gallery is the Lemongrove, Reading branch although my recent dealings have been with their Head office in Chiswick. I do not know if they owned the paintings but they sell pictures from DeMontford publishing house

Customer:

I'm not sure how this works - do I just wait for your reply?

Customer:

Excellent, I am still here A

Alex J. :

Alex J. :

Thank you. As a starting point can you ask the gallery to confirm who the owner of the prints was?

Alex J. :

You have grounds to argue that if RH sold you the prints directly then he is liable to repay you as it is implied the value is contained in the good will that he has destroyed.

Alex J. :

If the gallery owned then I am afraid it is a case of buyer beware, and you may not have a remedy.

Alex J. :

I look forward to hearing from you.

Customer:

OK but can we assume they were not the owners but were selling as agents as I doubt they own all the works of art they sell. Also - how does the publishing house fit in?

Customer:

How do I make a claim against RH, how much do you think any such action will cost me, would I be able to do this myself and, if not, and what sort of solicitor should I instruct please?

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. As a starting point do you know what your loss is? How much are the painting worth now?

Customer:

I'm afraid I don't know but think probably most of the monies I paid, I cannot find anyone willing to try and sell them so cannot put a value on them to calculate my loss. For the purpose of this chat, lets assume my total loss is what I paid which is 17500 for all of the work, 15k of which is the value of the collection of 5 paintings held by the Lemongrove. I do not think I can say my loss includes the increase in value at that time eg 1 picture I bought cost 1500 but the value went up to nearly 3k almost immediately, all now wiped out. I would be satisfied with a refund. Annie

Customer:

Demontford describe themselves as "an international publisher.........working in partnership with artists" I am trying to establish what the relationship between the Lemongrove and Demontford is

Alex J. :

Thank you. Before you can consider making a claim against anyone you need to:

Alex J. :

1. Find out if Lemongrove were only the agents;

Alex J. :

2. Get form some one that knows what they are talking about at least an estimate of the value now, so you can quantify loss.

Alex J. :

Is there any chance that these paintings will recover their value. Obviously RH is guilty of the worst of crimes, but the paintings still must have some artistic value?

Customer:

OK, thats helpful, lets assume the Lemongrove were only agents and I do get a valuation, then how do I make a claim, how much do you think it would cost, would I be able to do this myself, but, if not what sort of solicitor should I instruct please.

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. You would need a civil litigation lawyers. You can commence a claim here

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Alex J. :

You would need to obtain a service address assuming it is Rolf Harris who is the selling party behind the agent, you will have to check what the rules are regarding serving someone in prison.

Alex J. :

I do not think it is impossible but it is not something I am familiar with.

Alex J. :

http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ You will only need a local solicitor who has litigation experience but you can find someone local to you here.

Customer:

I doubt these paintings will recover their value in my lifetime, I bought them as an investment, never intending to display but to sell as a top up for my old age pension thinking the worst that could happen would be that I would sell for what I paid but hoped they would increase in value which they had done until RH conviction. Unfortunately the subject matter of the 5 help by L/grove does not help as they are the "Dream" collection - different interpretaions of Titania - Midsummer Nights Dream, the models for 4 paintings being young models/actresses in floaty/scant clothing, the 5th model was RH wife Alwen.

Customer:

Also, I could not have acted earlier ie before RH convictions because there was such a tight lid kept on the publicity that the RH allegations were under the general public's radar

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. It is possible when he dies they may recover some value - if they court enough controversy. The problem is to bring a claim you still must put a value on your potential loss and you need an expert of sorts to do this.

Customer:

Thats very helpful, yes of course I understand that I need to quantify my loss. Your advice has pointed me in the right direction.

Alex J. :

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.

Customer:

Customer:

annie

Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE