LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I am considering employing some one who is still on probation

Customer Question

He informs me that he was sentenced to A.B.H. And although has served 3 years of a 5 year sentence his solicitors are still appealing -
Is this possible? As I would have thought that once he was sentenced and released they could not now ask for reconsideration of the charges
And is A.B.H. Really serious? And what questions should I ask his probation officer?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello. I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

Customer:

ABH stand fot actual bodily harm which means some harm more than refiling but not so serious as grevious bodily harm. Assualst causing bruises, black eyes that sort of thing. The maximum sentence for ABH that is not racially aggravated is 5 years so he would seem to have received the maximum possible sentence for this offence. I have not in over 20 years of practice com across a client receiving the maximum sentence for ABH. Also prisoners will usually serve half of their sentence in jail and not 60% as he appears to have done.

Customer:

Appeals normally have to be lodged within I within 28 days of sentence and ordinarily would have concluded by now but it may have been referred to the Criminal Cases Review Body to decide if there may have been a miscarriage of justice.

Customer:

I think you have reason to be sceptical about what you have been told (I am not saying he is lying) and you should ask the probation office anything you want.

JACUSTOMER-tvg5p1nr- : Thank you for this information - appreciated and informative -
JACUSTOMER-tvg5p1nr- : I have asked that his probation officer calls me and have been told that I am on the list to be called back - still waiting
JACUSTOMER-tvg5p1nr- : land now a week since request
JACUSTOMER-tvg5p1nr- : Is there any where else other than his solicitor that I could contact or get a transcript of find more detail of the case?
Customer:

If you follow this link it will take you to the government site re emplyers geeting CRB checks on employees.