LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My son got sentenced to 6years but the judge stated that he

My son got sentenced to 6years but the judge stated that he must serve no longer than 3years what does this mean? And is this termed as a straight sentence please help as we are confused about this sentence.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this question.

LondonlawyerJ :

When a defendant is sentenced to a period of imprisonment then he will usually serve not more than half the sentence in prison and will serve the rest on licence under the supervision of the probation service. This is standard in all sentencing and Judges tend to state it in open court so that the Defendant knows precisely what he is being sentenced to.

Customer: So if the judge said to serve no more then 3years does that mean he will serve 3years or could he be out before. also is. This termed as a straight sentence
LondonlawyerJ :

He could be out a little before 3 years but it will not be much before. (unless there is a prison overcrowding crisis and the government decides to allow earlier release on tagged curfews).

Customer: He has been told that he will be moved to a cat d prison after Christmas ,what difference will this make to him
LondonlawyerJ :

It will be more comfortable and relaxed and mostly occupied by low risk offenders an those awaiting release. It will be a great improvement on the usual remand prisons like Pentonville or Wormwood Scrubs.

Customer: He has been told that this is a straight sentence is it, because what is ? termed as a straight sentence
LondonlawyerJ :

The phrase "straight sentence" has no legal meaning. Perhaps whoever said it was simply meaning not suspended.