How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33311
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I'm joint tenant on a property with my ex, we split

Customer Question

I'm joint tenant on a property with my ex, we split 7 years ago. The house has good positive equity in it, however mortgage hasn't been paid and mortgage company are repossessing. What happens to the divide on equity after repossession? Is it a straight 50/50 split or can my ex argue he should have more? Not sure how it works once its been taken back into ownership by the mortgage company. If they just split 50/50 or if he can still put a stop to this somehow.
Many Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who has been living in the property and why was it not sold before this happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The property has been empty for almost a year.

Salient points:

  1. Property bought as Joint Tenants 2006

  2. Split 7 years ago due to his affair

  3. I rented - he stayed in property

  4. I have been constantly trying to get off the property/mortgage - he has been nothing but uncooperative

  5. He moved to Philadelphia, USA 2 years ago

  6. He tried to sell the property without my permission

  7. He then rented the property without my permission or knowledge

  8. Tenants moved out

Throughout all of this the property has almost been repossessed 5 times prior to this, down to him 'forgetting' to pay the mortgage. I am not in a position to contribute as I have my rent to pay (as I cant buy whilst stuck on this property) I have always been the one to fight to save it and eventually get him to pay.

We did have an agreement for a settlement figure based on him removing me from the property with a 12 month maximum period - he failed to do this, he hasn't responded to me or solicitor for years, and I now can't afford a solicitor (sole breadwinner, 4 year old child and one on the way)

The stress from having to deal with everything over the last 6/7 years has been awful, so this time I just want it gone as its my only way out.

Hope this helps a little. There is so much more but trying to stick to basics.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage at the moment?
Were you married?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.


Never Married thank goodness. :)

Property Value: £450,000

Outstanding Mortgage: £196,000

Purchase price: £349.950

Mortgage Arrears: £8,400

Hope this helps


Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So far as the mortgage company are concerned they will sell it for the best price they can (which will be lower than you expect) and deduct the outstanding mortgage and the very high repossession costs, then send each of you half the balance.
If your ex wishes to challenge that then he will have to start court action - and if he does that YOU will be able to claim credit for the extra expenses caused by his behaviour.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Can he start court action before then, or would he need to wait until the property is sold and equity divided?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know if he can do anything with the court before the property is sold, of if he can't do anything until afterwards when the equity has been divided and paid out to us both equally. I have a feeling this will turn nasty and I need to know where I stand.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay.
He can make the application at any time - but once the money has been distributed there is no further action he can take.
I appreciate your fears but realistically any attempt he makes is doomed to failure and you will get 50% of whatever the excess is

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice