Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

My father died from cancer a couple of weeks ago. when his

My father died from cancer a couple of weeks ago. when his sister contacted the under taker for information regarding the internment she was told that my mother had a contract drawn up by a solicitor which the undertaker signed saying that he was not to give out any information to anyone ie. his sister, two sons, nephews and nieces and friend or any one else, only my mother and three sisters were allowed to know. Under what circumstances could she do this and why would the undertaker sign such a contract knowing that the information was in the public domain? I know that this was not my fathers wishes having spoken to him a few days before he died
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Is your mother still alive? Is she the executor of his will? If so then she is able to dictate what the funeral arrangements are and the undertaker will have to follow her wishes whether or not they were your fathers. This is often a stressful and difficult situation and if the undertaker has been instructed by a member of the immediate family it would be normal for them to follow those instructions.
If there is no will then the next of kin which is usually considered to be the wife will be in charge but it then really depends upon which direct member of family instructs the undertaker first.
Legally it the administrators of the estate -the executors under the will if there is one or the first beneficiary to apply for intestate administration who are responsible.