Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

once an annual appraisal has been signed by both emplyee &

Customer Question

once an annual appraisal has been signed by both emplyee & line manager, can HR rip it up & demand it be re-done 2 months later?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
hi thans for your question. An appraisal is really just an opportunity for a manager to discuss performance, aims and overall issues with the employee. HR cannot tear it up because it is merely an expression of opinion and presumably the employee will have a copy. If there is some element that is not in accordance with the companies policies - for example that the objectives set are inadequate then they can require it to be revisited. However if they are sim objecting to the performance assessment that it not their business. If their conduct is inappropriate it could amount to a breach of contract entitling the employee to claim constructive dismissal if taken to extremes.
Have they explained why they wish a further appraisal to take place? I don't think I would describe it as legally binding but the existing appraisal cannot be ignored and should be on the employees file. Certainly you should retain a copy of it.