Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Can i use the names of musical artists as table names in my

Can i use the names of musical artists as table names in my restaurant , oakenfold, tiesto, fontaine etc without the artists permission?
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
Customer:

hi

Alex Hughes : You do not need to secure the artists permission to use their names for tables. Copyright laws protect the work of the artistic and you are not proposing to recreate that work.
Customer:

I heard that there are some actors that copywright their names - is there anywhere to check if an artist has copywrighted their name?

Customer:

without the w in copyright!

Alex Hughes : Copyright prevents people from:- copying work- distributing copies of it, whether free of charge or for sale- renting or lending copies of work- performing, showing or playing work in public- making an adaptation of work- putting it on the internet
Alex Hughes : You can check with the IPO Office whose details are***@******.***: 0300(###) ###-####ax: 01633 817777Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Customer:

thank you Alex, I shall do this when I have shortlisted the names for my club. Good service!

Alex Hughes : The Copyright Design and Patents Act 1988 protects the 'work' rather than the name of the creator. In any event it is not illegal to use a celebrities name - you could call your child Elvis Presley and not fall foul of the law, for example.
Customer:

that makes sense!

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.