75100385

I am a medical general practitioner. 2 years ago I left a partnership.

Customer Question

I am a medical general practitioner. 2 years ago I left a partnership. I was advised to raise some concerns about my former partner. The most serious of these were 4 comments that he made suggesting that he may be killing terminally ill patients. The practice manager had also said he had a supply of ketamine. I named 2 other colleagues who had witnessed 2 of the comments.
6 months after I first raised these concerns the serious crime squad investigated. I understood from the police that my former partner had said I had misperceived what he had said. Although very evasive the police eventually said the practice manager had denied ever saying anything about ketamine, even though I had heard him make the same statement twice. The police said the 2 other colleagues did not share my concerns. They would not tell me what they had actually said.
The practice manager then sent a letter about me to NHS England expressing a concern but not saying anything very specific. 8 months after he sent this I was interviewed by NHS England. They would not tell me what the agenda of the meeting was. It was ostensibly to discuss the letter from the practice manager. At the meeting they barely touched on the letter. The thrust of it was asking me if I had fabricated the concerns. I was able to give an honest account of what I heard. They said they were going to discuss this with a professional standards committee but did not specify what they were discussing.
This was at the end of May. I was told I would hear back by the end of June. I have heard nothing since. Meanwhile I am applying for a job in Australia. I am being asked if I have any outstanding complaints against me.
I emailed NHS England in October to ask what was happening and told me they were discussing 'the investigation' later that month and I would hear as soon as there was anything to report. Again I have heard nothing since. I am not sure if I do have a complaint against me as the practice managers letter said nothing very specific and NHS England did not tell me their agenda and have not given me any answers.
I feel my job application is being compromised as I am not in a position to be able to give and answer to their question. No specific complaint was made and NHS England have not said anything about their agenda or about what they have been doing since May.
I would like to ask what my legal position is in these circumstances and how best might I deal with NHS England? They are not technically my employers. I need an answer from them though. Obviously this is a sensitive matter and I would not normally want to press them but feel I need an answer for my job application, Hugh.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nicola,

I am prepared to wait but I am looking for an answer as soon as possible as my job application needs to be completed and sent. Thanks for your help though,

Kind Regards,

Hugh.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Hugh,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Have you ever been notified there was a complaint against you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Alex,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have been told I have a complaint against me.

NHS England said they had received a complaint from the practice manager at my former practice. They asked to meet me without specifying what the agenda of the meeting was.

As I said in my original contact with you the meeting barely touched on anything the practice manager had said in his letter and without being stated focused on asking me whether I had fabricated the concerns I had raised about my former partner in practice,

Hugh.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Have you formally written and asked whether the complaint is ongoing or has been dismissed?
Written, rather than email.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have only emailed. I was told in answer (by email) that they were meeting in mid October and 'the report' would be considered and they would 'contact me with the outcome at the earliest opportunity after the meeting'.

Hugh.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Have you contacted them again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I haven't. I was hoping they would have responded as they said they would. I am also very aware it is a sensitive situation and did not wish to aggravate anything, but I do need an answer for my job application.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would write and make sure it is sent recorded delivery.
If they do not provide a positive response you can write a formal complaint. Given it is 2 months over their stated time you are due a proper response and it is not acceptable that they have not.
But send it in writing rather than email as it is harder to ignore.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/