tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I am due to leave my rented property after 3 years. I have

I am due to leave my rented property after 3 years. I have cooperated with my landlord but I noticed that he has tried to take undue advantages in the past 6 months. I have always paid my rent on time also.
I want to move and he wants to do extensive renovation to the property. I am due to move out on the 31st January 2015. When I went to the estate agents last month I was told that it was too early to start looking and that I had to wait until 15th Dec 2014.
My concern is that if I do not find a property in time do I have a right to stay until I find something ? He has already sent a Section 21 Notice Requiring possession of the property on 31st January 2015. What can I do if he refuses to give an extension ?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
tdlawyer :

HI thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

If you have a valid s.21 notice served on you, then you should leave by the date in that notice, otherwise, the landlord can issue Court proceedings against you to seek possession. However, he cannot remove you unless and until the Court makes a possession order.

tdlawyer :

You can obviously look anywhere you like for a new place, and you can leave at any time, but you're still liable for the rent on the existing premises until the date of your tenancy expiring.

Customer:

I am ready to pay the rent until I find a suitable place but if I do not find a suitable place in time can I stay a month or two till I find one. How long does it take to get a court order and will it cost me.

tdlawyer :

It will probably take him about 5/6 weeks to get the Court order, and you;d have to pay the rent for this time and the court costs (probably about £300).