75100385

Hi my bank has accused me of paying a false instrument into

Customer Question

Hi my bank has accused me of paying a false instrument into my account. The cheque was not paid in by myself but it was paid in by someone who owes me money from and old account of theirs so the cheque came back to me saying account closed. I've tried to explain this to the bank but they have closed my accounts and have reported me to CIFAS. Can anyone advise me on this please? Thanks
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know how much it was for?
JACUSTOMER-kduzmv8t- : It was for £4,700
Alex Watts : Was it a fraudulent cheque?
JACUSTOMER-kduzmv8t- : Their account is closed and he has since informed me the bank closed that account im presuming because he uses it to write out cheques to people he owes money to when there isn't funds in the account. As he has done to me. The cheque came back to me with a stamp on it saying account closed. Would this make it a fraudulent cheque?
Alex Watts :

Ok, was the cheque bounced or was it a closed account when you had the cheque?

JACUSTOMER-kduzmv8t- : When the cheque bounced it was posted to me with a stamp on it saying account closed
Alex Watts :

But I assume you didn't know?

JACUSTOMER-kduzmv8t- : I knew they had that account closed because I have had a cheque back from that account previously. They told me they were paying a cheque in from another account. I didn't actually see the cheque. If I knew it was going to be a cheque from that account I wouldn't have allowed them to pay it into my account
Alex Watts :

So you didnt pay it in to your account, they did?

JACUSTOMER-kduzmv8t- : Yes
Alex Watts :

Ok. What you should do is write a formal complaint to the bank and set out your position and register a formal complaint.

Alex Watts :

They will investigate this and report back to you.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with their response then you can complain to the Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint for free. Their website is: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Alex Watts :

That should resolve your matter.

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/