UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I AM CONSIDERING STARTING A BUSINESS IMPORTING TO THE UK MEDICINES

I AM CONSIDERING STARTING A BUSINESS IMPORTING TO THE UK MEDICINES OF A HERBAL NATURE DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS AND OVER THE COUNTER MEDICAL REMEDIES CAN YOU TELL ME IF I WOULD NEED A LICENCE TO DO THIS AND IF SO TO WHICH BODY DO I APPLY.
THE METHOD OF SELLING WOULD BE ONLINE ORDERING DELIVERED TO CUSTOMERS DOOR.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

The licensing body is the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency) and you may need a product licence in the form of a marketing authorisation or a traditional herbal registration depending on whether your products are considered medicinal or herbal.

See here for further information on how to get the appropriate licence from the MHRA:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Herbalmedicinesregulation/index.htm

All the best