LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Can a council give you 2 parking tickets for the same incident

Can a council give you 2 parking tickets for the same incident 1 ticket issued by a warden the other by a fixed camera.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

No they can not inflict a fine on you for the same matter twice. Which 1 have you paid?

Customer: Thank you . The council is the London borough of Newham. I have paid the 1 issued by the warden.
LondonlawyerJ :

How is is that the LBC are refusing a right to appeal.

Customer: When I sent the appeal of with payment for the ticket issued by the warden stating both pcn numbers regarding the incident , Newham council responded with thank you for your payment this matter is now closed. But they only closed the case of the paid pcn notice.which was paid and have issued a fine of £195 saying I have no right of appeal.for the fixed camera penalty.
LondonlawyerJ :

Were these separate letters or the same letter?

Customer: The tickets were separate but when I appealed the incident I stated both pcn numbers on the email to Newham council. I thought they closed the other case when they said thank you for your payment this case is closed.
LondonlawyerJ :

They have mad a mistake you had better write to them explaining what has happened and asking for confirmation that they do not require payment. If they proceed against you they will ultimately have to enforce against you in the magistrates court and you will have a defence to the parking offence under the double jeopardy rule.

Customer: Thank you for your help.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello. Is there any other help I can give you? I would be grateful if you would please rate my answer as if you do not do so I will not be paid for answering your question.