13262538

HiI live in Tamworth. My ex-wife and 2 lovely children live

Customer Question

I live in Tamworth. My ex-wife and 2 lovely children live in Bognor Regis.
To get to see my children, which I do every other weekend, is an 8 hour round trip, £60 worth of fuel, a BnB for at least one night and all that is befoe I even feed them or undertake any activitied with them.
Why do I live in Tamworth? I grew up there and when I left my wife and filed for divorce last November friends and family took me in. There is work here in Birmingham which there is not in a sleepy seaside resort...
QUESTION: Is the money I invest in getting to see my children able to be offset in anyway against maintenance?
Warm regards
What is your gross income and how much maintenance do you currently pay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Clare,

Good question - not straight forward answer - so here goes

I paid the following as child maintenance since leaving my wife last November

December 2013 £1250

January 2014 £500.00

February 2014 £1000.00 (to include March)

April 2014 £300

May 2014 none

June 2014 £200

July 2014 £100

August - now £0:00

I only earned £1400 before stopages and travel to work expenses per month until starting a job in November 2014! My salary is now £30k p/a before stoppages and travel into work

In this time I have also purchaed trainers for my children, jeans, tops and have to eat out with them 2 days per fortnight because I had / have no choice

To get to see my children and book into a BnB costs me £100 - £120 per fortnight depending on what BnB I can book at what price and that means getting up at 5:30am to get to Bognor Regis for 9am. ideally I'd like to stay on the Friday night's as well. I then need to eat out with my children 4 times (they have breakfasts with their mom). In the sumer we can get stuff to picnic on the beach - i can't do that now. So this is an average of another £100 per fortnight to feed myself and the children for these meal times. So I am looking at £200 - £220 per fortnight before I even take my children to the cinema or anything

I hope this garbbled message makes sense...quite an intense and emotional thing this side of the conversation...

What else do you need to know?

Yes that all makes sense - just to check - are you able to have them longer in the holidays and take them back to Tamworth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

I have them from 27th - 31st December and we're going to a hotel for that too because my digs aren't suitable for my children (only 7 and 5)

I took them to my parents in the lake district for a 5 days in the summer (great so my folks could see them and I couldn't afford anything else)

I've had them in Tamworth for 2 'long weekends' as well as the above since last November

I'd love to bring them to Tamworth regularly but would have a fight on my hands to get agreement and don't have suitable accommodation at the moment

I spent a few days with them in their Easter holidays and similarly for October half term - both down in Bognor Regis because I couldn't afford a family room or the diesel to take them to Tamworth

Do you intend or hope to get suitable accommodation in the next few months?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

I absolutely intend to get suitable accommodation in the next few months. Now my job situation and associated pay has improved I should be able to do so!

Within the CMS (new CSA) assessment you can ask for your contact costs to be taken into account
The leaflet is here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/325219/how-we-work-out-child-maintenance.pdf
and you need Page 37!
Once you have suitable accommodation then it is entirely reasonable for you to ask for contact to take place in Tamworth - at least during the school holidays and if necessary you should be able to obtain aChild arrangement Order form the court stating this.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details