tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I have been off work for the past 2 weeks through illness,

I have been off work for the past 2 weeks through illness, I went in for one day but I was throwing up at work. I know I'm over worked and my diet is awful as a result of this. Minimal breaks and the stress of the job, I didn't however seek my GP's permission for the time off and am curious as too what I can do regarding a sick note. My company doesn't pay sick leave so I wasn't aware one would be needed. Any advice on the situation would be most appreciated. Thank you
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name is***** can answer this.

tdlawyer :

You're entitled to self-certify your own absence for a period of up to 7 days off work. You only need a doctors note for periods longer than this, unless of course your contract of employment says otherwise.

tdlawyer :

So, for the period after the 7 days, you will need the doctors not, and you've been off for two weeks, which means for the latter part, the second week, you'll need to the note. You just go and see your GP or a private doctor and they will assess you and decide whether you're fit for work or not.

Customer:

Thank you very much for the prompt reply and answer