75100385

I'm trying to retrieve part of my deposit from my previous

I'm trying to retrieve part of my deposit from my previous landlord who's now been ignoring phone calls, messages and emails.
I paid the standard deposit of 1 an half month rent + standard fees + last month rent as my partner at the time wasn't working. At the end of my tenancy I've been charge for cleaning costs and the labour for the re-painting of one room but didn't realised then that from the total amount I was missing my last month rent therefore I end up paying it 2 times.
This was also been confirmed by the letting agency but I been told that they couldn't do anything about it.
Could you please advice on my next step?
Is it there a time frame within i can still get my money back? Any info would be great
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you just tell me how much you have lost here? Has any of your deposit been returned?

LondonlawyerJ :

I will be on and off this site this afternoon but will reply?

LondonlawyerJ :

YOU have made extra rent as well. Why hasn't this been returned to you? Is your deposit in a guarantee scheme?

Customer:

I lost one full month rent witch was £1250

Customer:

part of it yes minus various charges

Customer:

the agency said that it was but seams odd as ultimatley he was the one who had paid back

LondonlawyerJ :

OK I am going into court now but will rejoin this conversation later.

Customer:

Basically, during the move out i forgot that I had to pay for first and last month, following a back and forth of messages regarding various charges we agreed to a total but i then realised that it wasn't correct as i had been charge for my last month through the direct debit.

Customer:

Once I tried to reach him back he stopped answering me and following a chat with renting agency and Thamsview they agreed on the fact that i'm outstanding that amount but that they couldnt do anything about it

Customer:

Well I dont have all day to sit in front of my computer and won't be able to reconnect until tomorrow.

LondonlawyerJ :

I still don't quite understand what is going on. How much has the landlord kept that you think you are entitled to. Have you got your deposit back?

Customer:

as i said as a matter of fact and not what i thought...it's £1250.00

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alex tanks for a proper reply.

I just need to know if there is a time bound following me leaving the property and me claiming my money back.

How can i obtain the address of the landlord if I don't have it?

Let's say we're going to court, would i be able to claim anything else?

During the tenancy there have been quite few circumstance where he didn't respected the terms of my tenancy such as negligence with the maintenance.

Is that worth to look into it?

Yes they should return it within 14 days but you have 6 years to bring a claim.
You can't claim for anything else - only what you have lost.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it does but How can i obtain the address of the landlord if I don't have it?

The tenancy agreement should have it, otherwise you address proceedings to the property address you were renting.
Does that help?
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience