Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Hello,I have a property block management company and have

Customer Question

I have a property block management company and have had a question from one of our leasees. If there is a block of flats and there is one freeholder and all the flats are under long leases and the leaseholders are able to find a cheaper Insurance for their block to what the Freeholder has, do they have any legal right to ask it to be swapped ( as they are paying for it after all )
Kind Regards
Cheryl Fox
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
The Leaseholders do not have an automatic right to request who insures the Block, and the Freeholder is not doing anything wrong, just because he has not picked the cheapest option.
However, if the Leaseholders are unhappy with how the Freeholder is managing the Block, they do have the collective right to manage the Block themselves (called "The Right to Manage") and this would enable them to appoint their own Company to collect the service charge and arrange the Buildings Insurance.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL