75100385

My commercial landlord claimed breach of a tenancy agreement

Customer Question

My commercial landlord claimed breach of a tenancy agreement on a technicality enabling him obtain to obtain forfeiture and potentially avoid a "development claim" at the end of the lease.
This process has gone one for two years at the end of which my retail business has slumped and I am having to relocate the remainder. My health has suffered during this period. Could I make a claim against the landlord for business disruption and unreasonable behaviour?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Did you breach the agreement please?

JACUSTOMER-isp7cskq- :

The tenancy agreement was with Company A but the business was better known by a brand name. The same two directors had other legal entities which used the brand name and these companies were registered at the same address. The staff were also the same people and there was no formal subletting. i.e the business was simply divided for accounting purposes.

Alex Watts :

Ok, you could potentially sue the Landlord.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation. Over £10,000 then you will need representation for trial as there are Court rules and procedures to follow

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/