13262538

My girlfirend and I may be splitting up. We have lived together

Customer Question

My girlfirend and I may be splitting up. We have lived together in the same house for 6 months. The house is in my name and apart from electric I pay all bills. If we split, is she entitled to any of the house? She did help towards the cost of the deposit but I have a letter where it was confirmed this was a gift.
Where do I stand legally on this?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How much did she pay towards the deposit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house was purchased for £247k and we owe about £219k. I have a letter we used back when we purchased that we used money from our joint savings to pay for the deposit. We than supplied bank statements to show the money was built up from us and that we agreed the money used was a 50 50 split from what we had put in and that the 50% used from my partners side was a gift.

Hope this helps.

So how much did you both put in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Split down it was £12,350 each

What else was discussed at the time about the house ownership?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing else mentioned and all documents under my name as I pay the mortgage.
So you and your ex never discussed the fact that her money was going into the house but her name was not on the deeds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's correct
The fact that her money was used means that she has a financial claim on the property.
You can argue that it was a gift - she will argue that it was only expressed as a gift for the purpose of the mortgage
If the court chooses to believe her then she will be granted a share of the property - possibly even 50% of the equity although that is considerably less certain and will depend upon your financial arrangements whilst you were together
Please ask if you need further details