13262538

A grant of probate was issued on my late Mother's estate on

A grant of probate was issued on my late Mother's estate on 22nd April but the solicitors named in the will have yet to complete the processing of the estate. Whereas the content of the will splits the beneficiaries two thirds into trust funds and one third (me) as a direct beneficiary, and therefore it may have been expected that the work might take longer than for a will with no trust content, eight months seems a long time for the matter to have been not yet resolved. Can you offer some advice?
Stephen Pitt
Just to check - the Solicitors are also the Executors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I am joint executor and trustee with the solicitors.

Were you sent a copy of the firm's complaints procedure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Under their "Terms of Business", they state if the client is unhappy with the quality of service, they should speak with their Matter Controller or, if prefering , the Supervising Partner. Also, the firm has a complaints policy, available on request and "a complaints procedure that means all complaints are reported to and reviewed by our management".

Personally, if I was, say, to receive, satisfactory outcomes in the next couple of weeks, I would not complain. The trouble is, they have hardly communicated in the last three months or so and not all since the end of November. It would be preferable to be kept informed , including the important details about how the trusts are to be administered. I also have about £500 owing to me - since August - from the estate as I have paid for my brother's ( he is one of the persons under the trust funds) car insurance and car breakdown membership - my Late Mother used to do this and the idea is to continue this arrangement.

Just to check - have they provided a set of draft accounts yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, some time ago. There was confirmation of their fees. Is this what you mean?

No - I mean an account of the assets and the debts of the estate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. I received an account of the assets and the debts of the estate. All the debts are paid (they did this for me some months ago).

If the only outstanding matter is the setting up of the Trust then you are correct - they have had ample time to do so.
I would suggest that you write a letter asking for a full explanation of the delay and giving them 14 days in which to reply.
Address it to the Supervising Solicitor
Copy the letter to the Complaints partner.
If no reply has been received within the 14 day limit then start the formal complaints procedure.
You will also need to be aware of teh Legal Ombudsman
http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/
should the matter need to go further.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details