75100385

Hi On Tuesday, 2nd December I had a appointment with an Anglian

On Tuesday, 2nd December I had a appointment with an Anglian Representative about building a conservatory on the back of my house. He quoted me a price to which I said No, he then played about with figures and discounts and came up with a price of £13,680, which was £2,000 less than his original quote and telling me that figure would only be for today as the discounts finished that night because it was the end of their month that day. I said I could possibly be out into a financial problem which myself I didn't think would happen, but could. So with a lot of persuasion he talked me into signing the agreement, and I asked him what if I wanted to cancel? His reply was you won't want to cancel, you have signed the agreement, so he packed his demo materials and went with £150 cheque deposit.
Six days later the problem which I didn't think would happen did, which means if I was to go ahead with the conservatory would lead me into great financial difficulties as I couldn't afford the credit repayments. I don't want this problem at 70 yrs of age and was was not sure what to do. Eventually I phoned a solicitor up for some advice on the phone and they said you should have 14 days to change your mind and cancel, he should have explained that and shown me what to do or have left me with cancellation forms, but it should be on the agreement. I went home that night and got the agreement out which when I found the paragraph said I only had seven days, which I was two days over, so I sent an email which the form said I could, to the cancellation department on the 11th December and received an automated email back saying it had been received and would be dealt with and I would hear from them shortly.
As two or three days passed and I had no reply I started to worry about the seven days on the form and the solicitor saying 14 days so I started to search the internet to see what I could find and finally came up with a booklet from the Department for Business Innovation and Skills which said that as from 13th June 2014 cancellation for distance and off premises sales will be increased from 7 to 14 days which is as far as I can make out is contracts signed in a consumers home. If this is true I don't think I would have a problem.
So I phoned Anglia to see what was happening on Wednesday the 17th December. The person I spoke to couldn't find anything about my cancellation and asked me to send the message to her and she would see that it went to the right department, she gave me her personal email address and I sent it that evening.
Today I have received a letter from Anglia saying the communication dated the 11th December was received within the National Administration Centre on 17th December 2014.
Also That I have entered into a contract with Anglia and that my cancellation is outside the contractual cooling off period which is 7 days and to cancel will require a payment of £4104.00. How do I legally stand in this situation.
David Snell
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need to know if the 7 days cooling off period is correct or is it now by law 14 days.

Also if it did not get to the correct department till The 17th December, what effect would this have when it was originally sent on the 11th.

Am I fully bound to the contract

Did you sign the contract on the 2nd December 2013?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

December 2nd 2014

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No Answer
I see you have relisted,
I can confirm as of June the regulations were amended is now 14 days.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your answer which looks promising.

Does that mean that if I notified them within 14 days and the contract says 7 days. I still have the right to cancel with no penalties.

Yes. You are permitted 14 days - they can't change it.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience