12826847

Hello, my car insurers wrote to me a couple of months ago,

Hello, my car insurers wrote to me a couple of months ago, requesting information from me about an "incident" I had been involved in, on 28th Sept 2014, at midday. The alleged incident took place about 300 miles away from where I live, and as I was working an 11 or 12 hour shift that day, could not possibly have been a party to any incident I work for a major American worldwide car part manufacturer, so I asked my HR dept for verification of my hours at work on this date, I had this printed off, and sent it with a covering letter to my insurers. I was actually on site at work from about 5.30am until either 5 or 6pm, and as I say I live and work about 300 miles away from the site of the incident, I thought that would resolve the issue, apparently it hasn't, as I have now had a further letter from my insurer to say that the "liability" will be disputed. I am worried and concerned, as I don't seem able to find out who is accusing me, or on what evidence, it could be another car that wrongly had my registration on it, I just don't know, is there anything I might do, and can I take any measures against the party making the accusation against me ? Thank you, ***** *****

It is quite unlikely to be a completely false allegation. People do make false allegations sometimes but not usually in these circumstances. It is much more likely that somebody has cloned your number plate.
You could report that concern to the police. It would be worth doing that either way as you would get an incident number which would help if you start to receive other fines and S172 requests.
Otherwise though, since you seem to be alibied the insurance company will deal with this on your behalf.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Jo C, thanks for that, I did call the Police about this at the time it originally came to light, they were somewhat dismissive about it, saying it was probably a mistake, and that I might care to inform the dvla or dvlc,

My insurers were not much more concerned either, but, im afraid that I am concerned, and annoyed that I cant seem to find any information about my accuser, do I not have any recourse to help myself ?

You could also inform the DVLA.
Nobody will do anything at this stage but it will protect you from further incidents.
Accusers are generally far too well protected in my opinion. The insurance company do not have to tell you though as ultimately they are liable on your behalf.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your answer, I couldn't get to view it yesterday, you have given me some peace of mind, I had assumed I might have some action taken against me personally, but if my insurers can do what they are supposed to do, then all well and good, it still seems wrong, as you say, that people can get away with doing this though, and hide behind their anonymity,

I will contact the DVLA, though it may be rather late in the day now, as this incident was three months ago.

No problem.
All the best.