31090051

My father had a heart bypass operation last year . Immediately

Customer Question

My father had a heart bypass operation last year . Immediately his personality had changed and 8 months later he was diagnosed with a brain injury . He is no house bound as his health has deteriorated even further . Is this a risk or is this negligent ? Doctors have confirmed brain injury caused by lack of oxygen during operation .
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
This may well be negligent. You will have to have your solicitor recover all the relevant medical records and ask an independent expert surgeon to examine them. The test is whether anything was done or not done during the operation which a doctor or other member of a surgical team should not have done.
In other words there is way of doing things and to detract from that way without good reason is negligent. To establish this you need an expert doctor to compare what was done with what should have been done.
You will see online many references to the case of Hunter v Hanley which is the leading court case on this subject.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.