How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I made a claim to my insurance company earlier this year because

Customer Question

I made a claim to my insurance company earlier this year because of a water leak and subsequent damage. They offered a cash settlement so that I could choose my own builder that I trusted. However the payment that they have offered falls far short of the cost of the works. I have had quotes from 2 other builders who have stated that the amount I was charged is about the same as they would have charged.
Is this something I can take to the ombudsman?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Why wont you let them appoint an approved contractor?

JACUSTOMER-d402oc30- :

I did not expect to have this problem. I had builders on site, converting my garage into a granny annexe for my mother-in-law, so it seemed sensible to use them and it was a company I trusted to do a good job. This was agreed upon at the start, I did not expect to be offered less than half the cost.

Alex Watts :

Ok - what you need to do is formally write and complain to the insurance company

Alex Watts :

Get a letter from the builder showing his quote and the two others.

Alex Watts :

Send it to the insurance company and ask them to investigate which they will.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with the response then you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They are free, independent and can examine your complaint. Their website is:

Alex Watts :

If they do not uphold your complaint you can take the insurance company to Court.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-d402oc30- :

Thank you, ***** ***** what I thought I should do, now I can go ahead confident that I have a strong case.

Alex Watts : Yes.
Alex Watts : Can I help with anything else?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Related Law Questions