Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Hi, I need some advice. My name is ***** ***** am currently

Hi, I need some advice.
My name is ***** ***** am currently married to someone who is settled in the UK.
I came to the UK on a Tier 4 student visa, and now I want to switch to a spouse visa.
I made an appointment for premium service to get the spouse visa on 31/12/2014.
However its a week to the appointment date and my husband has unfortunately lost his BRP.
I have already made the payment of 1000 pounds.
He has a letter from the home office which had accompanied the BRP when he got it.
What document can I use to confirm his residency when I go for the appointment.
And will they grant me the visa or they will still need to first see the BRP?
Can a police report and reference number and cover letter explaining the situation help?
I await your response.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
https://www.gov.uk/replace-brp - Firstly you can replace the BRP here. If it is lost or stolen then I would report it to them asap so they can cancel the card and issue a new one. The lost card could be used to steal an identity.
Secondly - I would only report it to the police if it was stolen. Was your husbands wallet stolen our something. The BRP is just proof of residency, your husband will still be on a centralised data base at the UKBA as being entitled to reside in the UK. A covering letter explaining the circumstance, is really all you can do. Alternatively if your husband used a solicitor to gain his permit, a letter form the solicitor confirming that your husband has the right to reside in the UK.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wallet was not stolen. It fell when he was getting onto the bu. He also did not use a solicitor to get his permit. He did it on his own.
Should I also include the police report reference number?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi<
If you made a police report already then yes, it is worth including it.
It would be worthwhile asking a local immigration lawyer to verify your husbands identity and immigration status as a sort of reference if the UKBA require further evidence.
AJ