LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Good Morning We are a Scout group who have used a lake on

Customer Question

Good Morning
We are a Scout group who have used a lake on a private estate since the mid 50s we built our own boat house and have looked after the land around this since then.
The estate was sold to a hotel developer around 12 years ago because of death duties from previous owners and although we have had a amicable coexistence with them we are always on tenterhooks with whatever we do.
We would like to develop the building as it is to small and not really fit for purpose now, and basically we now need to know what rights we have with the land and building on the estate.
There was never any paper work or rental agreements in place it was just given to us to use this land for scouting.
I know this would be more in-depth with legalities but just needed to get some kind of feed back as we are looking at getting proper legal advice in the near future.
Kind Regards
Barry
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Nicola
Thank you for your reply,
yes I would like to wait to receive an answer.
As I said in the question we are a scout group and any further costs I would need to get permission for further payments.
But thank you and look forward to receiving your answers in the near future.
Barry
Hello Barry,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this. What sort of an agreement or understanding was there at the outset of your using the land?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello London lawyer
There was no paper work involved at the time and none since, the scouts were told they could use the land and lake by the owners in the 1950s and they gave us permission to put a hut up a few years later again no paperwork involved.
We have used the area and lake for scouting ever since even when the owners of the estate sold to a hotel group about 12years ago again no paperwork involved.
Hope this helps
Thank you regards
Barry Coleman
I am afraid that you would seem to have no rights here. As you were given permission you have not been a squatter and therefore cannot have acquired squatters rights. As you do no
t pay rent you do not have tenancy.