75100385

British fencing have sent a bill for £674.00 for an

Customer Question

British fencing have sent a bill for £674.00 for an International trip (2013/2014 Season) which I am disputing- I am counter suing for £525.00 for unforeseen costs a)I had to pay when my son was called up to participate in representative his country for him to be removed on the morning of the competition due to a technicality which could have been avoided- b) A British fencing training weekend , when incorrect information and poor planning resulted in him having to find alternative accommodation at very short notice . BF have instigated small claims - they have refuted my counter claim as illegal-they have issued a notice on their web site stating that if any outstanding monies are owed by a participant - no selection will be allowed for International Competitions-for this reason we have paid the £674.00 as we were advised by a British Fencing Board Member my son would not be selected to represent GB- at the forthcoming International competitions. With reference to the disputed amount I have had to instigate a Freedom Of Information Request to attain the full breakdown of costs for the £674.00 any all information held by BF regarding my wife, myself and my son- as BF state they have sent a full breakdown. Having first refused the information - eventually BF sent an unrecognised pack of paperwork which includes sensitive material relating to minors which is concerning.and was signed off by the CEO G Usher. Subsequently , my son who has trained at Lansdowne in Mayfair (a private mebers club which allows the coach to give lessons to non members) with his coach was asked not to attend due to the fact the CEO of British fencing and (full member of this private club)had requested that my son should not attend the club for lessons due to the County Court case and the upset this had caused her "she did not want to see my sons face in the club"-my son is just turned 18 and has never met the CEO. I contacted the Operations Director of Lansdowne to discus this issue pointing out that the club and the Court Case are totally separate and unrelated - and felt that the CEO had abused her power.The club have investigated and agree that my son should not have been suspended. The latest paperwork relating to the case from the BF includes emails and spreadsheets relating to the £674.00 which was not included in the original freedom of information request- some of which (especially the spreadsheet) seems to be hastily reproduced / created. Any thoughts please. The latest letter I have received from BF - thanks me for my payment - and questions if I will continue with the "futile , illegal counter-claim" and points out that if I loose the small claims case substantial costs will be sort by BF for attending the hearing Simon XXXXX *****@******.***

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know has the matter been set for a hearing?
JACUSTOMER-cjh31vob- : Hello Alex
JACUSTOMER-cjh31vob- : Yes the hearing is in February BF have to pay. Further £30 to continue with the action ?
JACUSTOMER-cjh31vob- : They have sent a letter / as previously mentioned- confirming if we are to continue in defending the action which includes the counter sue-
JACUSTOMER-cjh31vob- : We feel that BF have ridden rough shod and the CEO in particular has acted in a disgraceful manner
Alex Watts :

No its one fee per question.

Alex Watts :

To clarify they can't claim substantial costs.

Alex Watts :

The rules state that only the costs of bringing the claim, ie the Court fees are recoverable.

Alex Watts :

So that would be the issue fee and hearing fee.

Alex Watts :

The only exception is that you have acted unreasonably. That is your conudct.

Alex Watts :

If your case was unreasonable they could have applied for summary Judgment - they have not

Alex Watts :

So the only costs they can claim are the Court fees

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-cjh31vob- : What would ypu charge me if I asked ypu to read over the case notes for advice and your what are ypu thoughts regarding how the CEO has acted
Alex Watts : Please see offer re case notes. I agree the CEO has not acted properly but if he is not a lawyer may not know small claims costs limits.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-cjh31vob- : Offer re case notes- could you please direct me to the section -thank you
Alex Watts : It should have been sent now.
JACUSTOMER-cjh31vob- : Hi Alex- nothing received.
Alex Watts : Ok let me check. For now if you are happy with my answer please rate it and I will send it to the moderator to send the offer.
Alex Watts : If you need further help at this moment please click reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have sent the rating as requested
Ok I have tried again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi - unfortunately nothing - just another pop up box with smiley faces to add another rating
Is it a link or did you send by seperate email?
Hmmm,, ok let me email the moderator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alex the lat email I received from you was to advise that you were having to contact the mederator as i had enquirer how much ypu wre going to charge to read over the Court Papers I had submitted to the County Court
I am still waiting to hear
regards Simon
Ok, yes I will contact the mod again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no response - not too happy at all
I have done it again.