LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I was arrested on Xmas eve on suspicion of indecent exposure

I was arrested on Xmas eve on suspicion of indecent exposure at a hotel. The events took place on 27th Oct in another force area. I was told initially that officers from that force were coming to interview me but after a couple of hours two local officers interviewed me on there behalf. I declined legal advice as I wasn't sure I needed it. After the interview they said they would speak with the other force and it would probably result in "insufficient to proceed" or bail. After a second short wait I am now on bail to appear at the other force station on 9/2/15. I am frightened about what might happen and would like some advice.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

In procedural terms you will have to return to the police station at the time and date required. The fact that you have been bailed suggests that the police do not yet have enough evidence to charge you. Can you tell me what it is said you did and what you actually did and what you said in interview if anything?

Customer:

The police have two statements from workers at a hotel I stayed at

Customer:

The police have two statements from workers at the hotel I stayed at. The first lady says she brought me room service breakfast and I answered the door wearing just a towel but when she turned around I was no longer wearing the towel. In interview I said I could not deny the event had taken place because I didn't recollect it but that there had not been anything malicious on my part. The second lady said she came to the room at about 10AM and opened the door with her key card to find me stood near the bathroom naked. Again I said I couldn't recollect the event and if she had entered the room unanounced I would have been embarrassed. they went on to ask me questions about wether I found the staff attractive or if I got sexual gratification from these events or if I was a nudist. I said no to all this. I do not recollect these events it was on my part an uneventful stay at the hotel. Should I get a lawyer here in my home town or just wait until the bail date and the get the duty lawyer at that police station. I've no idea where to turn with this

LondonlawyerJ :

This offence is committed where a person intentionally exposes his or her genitals and intends that someone will see them and be caused alarm or distress. It is gender neutral, covering exposure of male or female genitalia to a male or female witness. So the issue here is going to be own of intent. With the first lady if the towel may have disappeared by accident this would be a defence and the on the second incident if she entered unannounced how could you have intended anything?

LondonlawyerJ :

It would be a good idea to see a lawyer before returning to the police station. You will be entitled to free advice from either the duty solicitor of from your own solicitor at the police station but if you want help and advice in advance of your return to the police station you may have to pay for it (although most defence lawyers will give you a short free meeting)..