Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

Hi, I am a long term lessee in this small ground floor self

Customer Question

Hi, I am a long term lessee in this small ground floor self contained flat in a converted house. The freeholder sold the freehold earlier this year and the new freeholder occupies the two floors above me (1st & 2nd floors). Due to this sale I have been looking through my Lease and find that I am not required to contribute towards the insurance for the building (I have my own contents insurance), I find that I need not contribute towards the insurance for the building. Having lived here for 15 years and always contributed towards the building insurance on demand, may I now demand a retrospective reimbursement from the previous freeholder, if I am able to find him? I have kept all demands and proof of payments. Thank you.
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
Matt Jones :

HI i will try and help.

Matt Jones :

How sure are you that you have this correct?

Matt Jones :

The lease can contain such an obligation in different places. It can be called "insurance rent", or it can be further back in the lease under a general "service charge" catch all clause.

Matt Jones :

Also have you/ the freeholders ever claimed on the insurance policy?