12826847

My wife and I moved into a rented property 4 months ago. After

My wife and I moved into a rented property 4 months ago. After about a month I discovered that the electricity day rate meter was not logging the electricity used and was stuck on the same amount. I called EDF to report the faulty meter and an appointment was made for someone to come and repair it. I was sent an email after the booking was made which stated I would be due no money as the meter hadn't logged any use.
The engineer failed to turn up for the appointment and I had to report this to EDF. An investigation began and after no explanation, £22 was credited to my account. I then had to make another appointment which was at the start of October and once again the engineer failed to show. I reported this through email as I work away from home and heard nothing from EDF until today. Apparently the engineer had been sent the wrong details and I have now arranged a third appointment for the end of January as I will be working away from home again until that time.
My question is regarding my electricity bill. The woman has advised me that once my meter is repaired/replaced then one months electricity consumption will be monitored and an estimated bill which reflects this consumption will be issued for the 3-4 previous months. My main concern is with paying an estimated bill. With working away from home for 3 weeks at a time then my electricity use is not constant from month to month. I guess what I really want to know is if I am legally obligated to pay an estimated bill?.
In the beginning I made all the effort to get the meter repaired when I discovered it was faulty. EDF have let this go on and on due to their lack of communication between customer service and their engineers. All I want is to pay an itemised bill which states what I have actually used and as this cannot be done, how can EDF issue a guessed bill?
Darren Robertson

Do you have any actual bills from the previous property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo

My previous property was a flat in Glasgow which we own and is now rented out. Our provider was Scottish power at that time and my wife was the account holder. We have not been issued a final bill from them as yet and haven't kept any previous bills.

Darren

I would follow everything that you say to the utility company up in writing.

They will of course try to rely on an estimated bill and you are entitled to dispute it on the basis that as you have said, you don’t live in the property very often for 3 weeks out of 4. In fact, you could not well not have been living in the property during this time.

If you get a bill which you think is unreasonable then dispute it with the complaints department and if they were not make the bill of an amount to your reasonable satisfaction based upon what I’m about to tell you to do, then simply make a complaint to OFGEM.

You are going to need something in support of your complaint which you make initially to the utility company and if that fails, to the Ombudsman.

To support your complaint you need to monitor your amount of electricity usage on the meter over the period when you are away compared to the period when you are at home.

That needs to be in respect of the same type of season to take account of weather.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo

All makes sense. Thank you for your response

Darren Robertson