Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am making out a very simple will via a template on the internet.

I am making out a very simple will via a template on the internet. My affairs are uber simple - I leave everything to my husband or if he predeceases me to be divided equally between my two sons. The amounts are well under inheritance tax worries.
My question is this: Although my legal name is ***** ***** of my documents, I am more familiarly known by a nickname and I know that nickname to be on a few BT shares that I received while working for them.
Should I note my nickname along with my legal name on my will?
IE: I, Joanne Bloggs, (also known as Honey Bloggs) make my Last Will and Testament (or however I am allowed to enter my name on the template)
Thanks in advance
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You are indeed correct- you should refer to any alias you have, in your Will.

You should put "This is the last Will and Testament of me XXX (correct full name), otherwise known as XXY of***** Anytown...

I hope this clarifies the position for you.

Kind Regards

AL