12826847

When does the new law regarding domestic abuse come into force?

Customer Question

When does the new law regarding domestic abuse come into force? I read that the law would also cover past cases of abuse. Is that correct?
My daughter was in a psychologically abusive marriage which lead to a nervous breakdown. This happened over 5 years ago. Would she be able to proceed with trying to gain a prosecution on these grounds?
We do not have a commencement date yet as parliament has not announced it.
In any event, it will not have retrospective effect s nobody will be able to use it unless conduct takes place after it is in force.
It is quite unlikely to cover what you are describing anyway. All marriages fail because twee are complaints. That does not amount to abuse. It is expected to cover people who deliberately isolate and manipulate. In fact, on the face of it, it is more likely to cover female abuse than male abuse as it prohibits things Like contact denial and manipulative behaviours. We do not know yet but that is the prediction.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

I wonder please could you inform me of where the law stands on the following issue

I was threatened with a knife by a person living in my home the police where called but due to circumstances at that time I had to say that I had not been threatened even though I had.

The police removed the person from the house and he was not allowed to return for 24 hours.

I am wondering if that means that the person who attempted to threaten me with a knife would if I now said that he had threaten me

would be charged for that act.

This happened about 5 years ago.

Thanking you

The new law won't make any difference to that.
There would have been offences in that at the time but he will not be prosecuted now because you said at the time that you had not been threatened.