75100385

Hi Jo I have just written a question but before I pay for the

Customer Question

Hi Jo I have just written a question but before I pay for the service I want to amend the question but the site is not allowing me to do that?
Thanks for requesting me but the Housing Act isn't really my area.
I will opt out for others.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Understood thank you

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please continue

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
For now can you please explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

Please confirm exactly what you are wanting extra clarification on. I thought the situation was clearly explained.

Robin

Sadly I can't see your question, might I ask you to repost it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

The current position:

I own a property which consists of a shop on the ground floor and a 2 bed flat on the 1st and 2nd floor. The tenant of the flat (a single person) has been in occupation for approx 30 years as a regulated tenant and is paying a fair rent.

My Intention:

I am moving my business into the shop and in order for the shop to fit my business needs I need to build and extension to the ground floor.

Problem:

In order to build the ground floor extension without internal dividing walls, I need to knock down part of the 1st floor flat (kitchen and toilet see image below).

I am willing to place the tenant into temporary accommodation whilst the work is going on and move her back after.

Questions

(1). Can I seek possession of the flat on the grounds that I intend to rebuild the property and part of the flat.

(2). Separate to question (1) if the tenant is being moved out I would like to extend the 1st and 2nd floor to build 3 flats. I will move the tenant back into one of the flats under the same security.

(3) If in principle a Court is likely to grant possession what might be the procedure time scale and estimated costs 5K 10K etc.

(4) Any additional advice I may not have considered.

Architects plans are on hold until I get clarification of the position.

Robin (image of rear of shop below)

1) Yes
Ground 10 of the Act states:
The landlord intends, within a reasonable time of obtaining possession of the dwelling-house—
(a )to demolish or reconstruct the building or part of the building comprising the dwelling-house, or
(b )to carry out work on that building or on land let together with, and thus treated as part of, the dwelling-house,
and cannot reasonably do so without obtaining possession of the dwelling-house.
You are intending to demolish PART of the building and therefore can seek possession on that basis
2) Yes you can do that too
3) Yes the Court can grant possession. The cost is £280 to issue the claim for possession.
4) You need to have clear plans to hand because the tenant is regulated, the Court is not want to give possession unless it has to. So if you can show you have plans, quotes etc for the development then the Court will give possession.
Possession will take around 2-3 months or so depending on how busy the Court is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What about the rights of the tenant...is she entitled to alternative accomodation which I must provide? Or is she simply left to her own devices?

No, she is left. You are seeking possession because you want to redevelop part of the building.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Understood - she will be left to find alternative accomodation herself.

Only part of the question that remains to be answered is the estimated costs of employing a solicitor to prepare the paperwork and if required attend court.

Finally what will the notice period be? She is paying on a monthly basis

The costs are £200 per hour.
So its just maths as to the costs and time spent. I would imagine nothing more then £2500.
The notice period should be 2 months.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alex,

I have been looking at Ground 10 Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1985. Are you sure this applies to private Landlords?

Robin

Yes,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alex,

I dont want to labour the point Section 79/ 80 of the Housing Act 1985 says (Ground 10 Schedule 2 of the Act) is only available to a Local Authority or Housing Association Landlords.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68/part/IV

Have you evicted using Ground 10 with a Private Landlord.

Robin

Yes I have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to instruct you,.

Are you Alex Watts of Rowley Dickinson.

Robin

Thanks for the request Robin but sadly I can't be instructed as its against site rules.
I would like to have helped. But please take a moment to rate my answer so the site credits me for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already rated. Can you recommend someone pls

Forgive me you have. You can find someone local here
http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk