LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Excess Service chargesI live in a freehold house on a street

Excess Service charges
I live in a freehold house on a street with 10 other residents (one of which is a council property occupied by a number of diabled people). The street has a management service company which is responsble for maintaining the street. The company does not own the shared common area. 11 residents are the shareholders of the company.
Two residents (in the same household) who are directors of the company frequently request for unnecessary repairs and maintenance to be carried out on the street, for example, cutting ivy which does not need to be cut, repair street which is outside our street etc (the responsibility of the council). Most of the residnent are afraid of these two persons and almost never decline their requests.
Recently they have requested for windows of each house on the street to be cleaned by a subcontractor appointed by them and for other repairs to be carried out unnecessarily.
I want to know my rights as freeholder to the requests made by these directors and the privacy of my children in own home when the window cleaning is being carried out. The main thing is that I don't want them to think that they can impose any obligations on us as they wish (they even request for my dust bins to be cleaned on a weekly basis).
Your help is most appreciated.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nicola,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am a bit disappointed to have to wait so long but considering it is the holiday season, I will wait.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nicola,

Yes please. Do we have a discount due to the delay?

I can issue a part-refund on request, please let me know what you would like.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nicola,

I will wait for the answer first.

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this I also apologise for the slowness in any of us responding to your question. You need to look at any written agreement regarding the provision of services etc by the company. I take it you are a shareholder in the company. There is very likely to be a written agreement somewhere about what the company can and can't do. This is a contract dispute so yo must start with the contract. It seems unlikely that they can impose a window cleaner on a freeholder. Cleaning and maintaining can be subject to service charges (in leaseholder law where most cases of this sort appear) but I would be very surprised if they could legitimately force a particular window cleaner on a freeholder who may want to clean his own windows.
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.