12826847

I have worked as a delivery driver for eight days but I find

I have worked as a delivery driver for eight days but I find the job very stressful and it is effecting my health as I am not sleeping or eating properly.
I want to resign with immediate effect before my health suffers too much (I am 59 years old). I have not signed a contract and I am on a probationary period of three months. Can the company sue me for breach of contract and if so for how much?
You are perfectly free to resign. Your contract will almost certainly have a clause allowing you to do that as, apart from anything else, they need to be able to dismiss employees as well if they need to.
If you are exercising that clause then you are not in breach of contract.
Even if they do have a contract that never allows you to resign, which is very unlikely, and you are in breach they are not suffering loss because you are not there so there is no claim.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply, Jo. So does that mean I am okay to hand in my resignation letter after my shift ends today even if they normally ask for a month's notice?

If a month's notice is in your contract then you should work your notice.
If you don't then you are in breach but there is no real loss so no claim.
It just could affect your reference and also it is always in your interests, long term, to avoid letting people down.
They will probably refuse anyway. Many companies want you to leave immediately if you resign and then you get paid as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jo. Very helpful.

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/